Kids crafts playing Recycled crafts tutorial upcycling

How to build a mud kitchen

A few weeks ago we made our children an outdoor kitchen or mud kitchen. It is quite a basic construction from some unwanted wood but that’s what I love about a mud kitchen – it can be as simple or elaborate as you want. My children love to spend time outdoors and it wasn’t hard to give them some more space, with some spare utensils, to have fun and learn outside.

We’ve wanted to make a mud kitchen for our children since we moved house 2 years ago. We managed to stockpile an old pallet and a few scaffolding boards from the loft, which we recently boarded, so were no longer needed.

how to build a mud kitchen - the gingerbread house

Equipment needed to build a mud kitchen for outdoor play

wooden pallet
scaffolding planks
electric sander

How to build a mud kitchen for outdoor play

We didn’t want to spend much money on our mud kitchen so recycled existing materials where possible.  The idea behind it was simple and twofold. First – to create a working space at child height. Second – to give the children plenty of room to store and arrange their utensils, a surface to create, and space to carry out their stirring, mixing, pouring and creating!

how to make a mud kitchenWe created a table and shelf from the scaffolding planks, and created a back from the wooden pallet. We sanded the whole thing to make sure there wouldn’t be any splinter accidents.

how to make a mud kitchenOur only purchase was a metal rail and cups from Ikea to provide more storage. I added a spare blackboard so the children could have fun writing a menu too.

how to make a mud kitchenThe mud kitchen has really evolved since we built it and the children have been asking for different things to add to it. The milk bottle watering cans we made have been great for mixing water with soil to make lots of mud, which has meant more delicious mud cakes being made.

how to make a mud kitchenI’m glad we made the mud kitchen after talking about it for so long. It came together quite quickly and is so popular for very little effort. I’ve made a few further purchases, such as the mini cookware set from Ikea and donated some old bowls for washing up. I also whipped up some cheerful Duck Tape bunting flags.

how to make a mud kitchen - the gingerbread houseThe benefits of a mud kitchen are plenty. It encourages role play, gross motor skills with all that mixing and stirring, and creativity. There hasn’t been nearly enough muddy mess yet but I’m hoping my children will feel free to explore the potential messy play opportunities soon!

I can’t wait for more sunny days and lighter evenings to watch my children explore the endless possibilities with their mud kitchen.

Emma - Me, The Man & The Baby
    May 16, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Looks amazing!! Perfectly timed this post as only today I was trying to figure out where do I start with making ours?! Love the little chalkboard 🙂
    Emma – Me, The Man & The Baby recently posted..Pirate Photo Cutout Boards

jenny
      May 19, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, I really enjoyed making this and putting everything together 🙂

Michelle Twin Mum
    May 18, 2015 at 9:04 pm

This is my idea of hell but know my girls would adore it, I’ve pinned it thanks, Mich x #MondayPinningParty
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted..Strong Girls Unite to Fight Together – Will YOU Join Us?

Claire @ Clarina's Contemplations
    May 18, 2015 at 11:40 pm

This really is super cute… I know my girls would adore it! Now the question remains whether I am brave enough to give it a go!
    Claire @ Clarina’s Contemplations recently posted..Hipp, hipp , hurra for 17.Mai!

Claire Potter
    May 19, 2015 at 10:32 am

Love it! There was a mud kitchen for kids at a play farm down the road from us but they got rid of it because too many mothers complained about their kids getting dirty!!!! Unbelieveable!!! I actually heard a mother say one day, “Come away from their darling -you’ll get dirty!” ?????

jenny
      May 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

That’s so sad! I want my children to have messy fun 🙂

Let kids be kids
    May 19, 2015 at 11:00 am

Oh I love this mud kitchen, my children would adore it!
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids
    Let kids be kids recently posted..Let kids be kids linky 19/5/15

jenny
      May 19, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Thanks, it’s proving really popular with everyone who comes round to our house!

Annabel (Tickle Fingers)
    May 19, 2015 at 11:18 am

They have a play kitchen, love to cook real food, but don’t have a mud kitchen. Been meaning to make one for them for ages. This has inspired me to get to it. Thank you. #LetKidsBeKids
    Annabel (Tickle Fingers) recently posted..Why I love cooking with toddlers

Beth
    May 19, 2015 at 12:04 pm

That looks so cool and so much fun!! My girls would love that!!
    Beth recently posted..MUMMY TRIES, SHE REALLY DOES.

Heidi
    May 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Oh, boy! That looks like so much fun. My girls would be in heaven.
    Heidi recently posted..Best Busy Bags for Preschool and Toddlers

jenny
      May 19, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thank you, my children have certainly been playing a lot more outside now we have one.

Terrie
    May 20, 2015 at 9:09 am

This looks like so much fun! Think I would like playing with it just as much as the kids!
    Terrie recently posted..Toddler Flower Suncatcher

Mummy on a Budget
    May 22, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Popping over from #LetKidsBeKids

This looks great and lots of fun! We’re just in the process of creating a mud kitchen for our daughter. So far we’ve sourced everything for free. Might have to buy a little blackboard for the Menu though as love this idea!

Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer
    May 22, 2015 at 9:41 pm

My kids would love this! Brilliant idea. Thanks for linking up to #mbpw
    Anya from Older Single Mum and The Healer recently posted..Our (Mad) Mini Adventure Abroad.

Summer Bucket List for Kids: 101 Things to Do
    July 30, 2015 at 3:02 pm

[…] Get messy and build a mud kitchen. […]

Monday happy things - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    August 10, 2015 at 9:02 am

[…] said I had a “brilliant guide to building a mud kitchen” in their latest newsletter. Why don’t you read it for your self […]

Meg
    August 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm

This is so great! I’m desperate to build my daughter a mud kitchen … this has spurred me on even more!
    Meg recently posted..Book review: The Good Girl by Fiona Neill

How to make a kid-friendly terrarium - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    March 26, 2016 at 8:08 am

[…] which is lucky because I do too! Our small garden is packed with things to keep them busy from our homemade mud kitchen to the sand pit. If you’re looking for ways to entertain your family outdoors then look no […]

Making A DIY Pallet Mud Kitchen – DIY Ideas Tips
    April 6, 2016 at 6:46 pm

[…] Learn How to Make Here […]

Hayley
    May 10, 2016 at 8:32 pm

That is such a lovely idea 🙂

Jemma@listoflovelythings
    May 15, 2016 at 8:50 pm

How lovely! This has given me great inspiration for our garden makeover!

Saving money this Summer with My Favourite Voucher Codes - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    June 14, 2016 at 11:00 pm

[…] and play after school if the weather is good. As well as their sand pit and water table we have our homemade mud kitchen. They also have their own play house stuffed full of outdoor […]

Simple mud kitchen food - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    June 15, 2016 at 10:19 am

[…] children love to be outdoors and their favourite place to be is our lovely mud kitchen, find out how to build a mud kitchen here. So today we’re sharing our recipe for simple mud kitchen […]

7 mud kitchen essentials - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    July 14, 2016 at 7:37 pm

[…] A mud kitchen can be as simple or complicated as you like. Before we built our mud kitchen from old pallets the children were happy to play with buckets of water and old saucepans for their messy outdoor […]

Invitation to play - a beach themed mud kitchen - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    August 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm

[…] homemade mud kitchen has been getting a lot of use this year. To mix it up a little I thought I would set up an […]

Easy upcycled pallet Christmas tree {Pinty Plus Chalk Paint} - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    November 29, 2016 at 10:11 am

[…] I wanted to try something quite simple. I love upycling pallets, we’ve already made a fun pallet mud kitchen and pallet planter. I thought it was time to make a simple pallet Christmas tree. Here’s a […]

Monthly makes - May - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    April 23, 2017 at 4:22 pm

[…] My children have also kept me busy and we’ve had fun crafting with coloured sand, painting pebbles to make kid-friendly cactus plants and upcycled plastic Easter eggs to Mad Hatter’s tea cups. We’ve made Miffy biscuits, tried a Miffy paper plate craft and made our own Miffy play dough. We’ve spent hours outside too from making our own flower fairies to building a little mud kitchen. […]

Sunny days and outside play - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    April 25, 2017 at 9:34 pm

[…] little garden is child-friendly. As well as our awesome playhouse we have a home-made mud-kitchen, sandpit, water table and now the kids have their gardening area too. There’s not much space […]

Summer fun in the garden {win an Olympus Pen camera} - the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    May 18, 2017 at 10:31 pm

[…] can find my original post about how to build a Mud Kitchen […]

Rosa Maria
    May 28, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Awesome mud kitchen idea for kids outdoor play. They can play and make a huge fun. At the same times, they can pretend that they are cooking all kind of dishes. This type of activities will help your kids a lot for improving their creativity and imagery thoughts when they just spend times in outside area. Thanks for sharing this idea. I just back in my childhood.