It’s three weeks since I wrote about the Grandmother’s Flower Garden doll quilt I’ve been working on. You may remember I asked for some advice as I’d got to a mini crisis point. I loved reading everyone’s suggestions so I thought I’d share a little update.
I was lucky enough to find a remnant of the green material I was using for the flower border which made things much easier. My first step was to square off each end with half flowers as someone suggested so the whole shape was rectangular.
Then my problems started again! I realised it was too narrow to actually fit the dolls bed I was making it for so I added an extra row along the long side.
Then I somehow noticed how nice the corners looked rounded so started to add hexies to one end to try and make four rounded corners before realising that I was just over extending the quilt and needed to stop! I wanted to photograph it now in the hope it will spur me on to finish it.
Each little hexie measures 2cm across so the current version is approximately 50x32cm. It fits inside the dolls bed so I’m thinking of adding one more row of flowers to the long side and finishing off the short sides (whilst trying to not make it any longer).
I have some dark brown flecked fabric to add a row of hexies around the outside, someone suggested this would be reminiscent of a flower bed around the lawn). I’ve also purchased some light brown patterned fabric for the back and I thought I would hand-tie the quilt through the centre of each hexie flower to tie the layers together.
That’s my plan. Our house move may disrupt my attempts to finish it off in the next week or two but I will complete it.
Lining up with Handmade Monday