book review crafts handmade Kids crafts tutorial

Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar

We love to read and we love to craft, often one inspires the other and vice versa. This year sees the 45th anniversary of Eric Carle’s phenomenal children’s book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

Written in 1969 the book has sold over 33 million copies across the globe and it has been translated into over 45 languages. With his distinctive shape and colouring The Very Hungry Caterpillar is an instantly recognisable character born from the much-loved children’s book.

To celebrate the landmark anniversary, Puffin has released a special 45th anniversary edition of the best-selling story. Available now it celebrates 45 years since the lovable character took his very first bite and no doubt will be cherished by the many generations who grew up reading the beautiful life journey of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

very hungry caterpillar

This was one of the first books I bought for my son and we were delighted to receive this special edition. He’s currently learning about insects and their life cycle at nursery so it’s been great book to read with him at every stage.

We thought we would make our own version of the very hungry caterpillar. First of all we chose a selection of green and red bottle tops to make the caterpillar.

crafting with bottle tops

I made a hole through them and then Big Brother threaded them on to a pipe cleaner, we folded over each end to keep them in place, he added some sticker eyes on to the red bottle top.

very hungry caterpillar crafting

We made paper leaves from green paper by drawing around his hands. I cut the shapes out and then he punched holes in the leaves with a small punch.

very hungry caterpillar craft

We placed our very hungry caterpillar and leaves in a glass jar so he could munch in peace.

the very hungry caterpillar craft

chantelle hazelden (mamamummymum)
    April 7, 2014 at 8:08 am

Can’t believe it is 45 years old, a firm favourite in our house!! great crafting. thanks for linking up with #ReadWIthMe I have tweeted and pinned this post. hope to see you again next week x

Honey
    April 7, 2014 at 10:15 am

I love the Hungry Caterpillar! x
    Honey recently posted..BeSwitched

Emma Kershaw
    April 7, 2014 at 11:57 am

What a fab idea! We love The Very Hungry Caterpillar 🙂 Just popped over from the Read With Me Link Up xx
    Emma Kershaw recently posted..Alternative Easter Gift Ideas

Kate @ Family Fever
    April 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm

One of my all time favourites – all 3 of my children have loved it! #ReadwithMe
    Kate @ Family Fever recently posted..Book review – ‘Just what kind of mother are you?’ by Paula Daly

Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk)
    April 7, 2014 at 6:22 pm

So easy and the end product is so cute! #PinItParty
    Merlinda Little (@pixiedusk) recently posted..One Gloomy Day

Andrea @ loveandcake
    April 7, 2014 at 9:43 pm

I can’t believe this is 45 years old! Thanks for linking up to this weeks Parenting Pin it Party
    Andrea @ loveandcake recently posted..Mondays Parenting Pin it Party #47

Anthea
    April 9, 2014 at 12:56 pm

What a cute way to celebrate this brilliant book! Thanks for linking up with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials

creativejewishmom/sara
    April 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Fabulous, never thought of stringing bottle caps, a great reason to save them all! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!

Katie Clark
    April 11, 2014 at 12:14 pm

I can’t believe it’s 45 years old. What a fabulous idea about making your own too! I think I’ll try this 🙂 #readwithme

Butterfly craft: The Very Hungry Butterfly | the-gingerbread-house.co.uk
    May 13, 2014 at 5:02 pm

[…] few weeks ago we were reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar and made a caterpillar from bottle tops. He’s been sitting in a jar ever since and my  4 […]

Stickman Sun Catchers - Rainy Day Mum