Kids crafts tutorial

Painting with flowers

We’re fully embracing the warm summer weather and having fun with some summer crafting. It’s lovely to see our garden bursting with colour and we decided to pick some flowers and try painting with them. The children were excited about painting with something other than a sponge or paint brush.

painting with flowers - the gingerbread house

Painting with flowers materials:
Flowers or leaves
Acrylic paint
Paint tray

We headed out into the garden and looked for flowers we could pick. We found daisies and dandelions and other things I don’t know the name of. We picked them with enough stalk to hold on to, like a paint brush. Then we poured paint into the paint tray.

painting with flowers

My 4 year old enjoyed using the flower heads as a paint brush.

painting with flowers

We talked about the different flowers and if they made a suitable paint brush. He made patterns on the paper and I just left him to be as creative as he wanted to be.

painting with flowers

He built up layers using the different flowers until they began to disintegrate, and explored mixing colours.

painting with flowers

This is a lovely simple craft, we’ve tried it with leaves too but it was pretty messy and not so satisfying.

July 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Oh such a great idea. We will have to give this a go πŸ™‚
    Jenna@TransformingIntoButterflies recently posted..Being Thankful – Gratitude Sunday

July 7, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Such a fun idea. I’ve printed with potatoes and leaves before, but painting with flowers is such a fab idea. Amy would love this.

Thanks for linking up with Monday Parenting Pin It Party!
    Carolin recently posted..Monday Parenting Pin It Party #60

July 8, 2014 at 9:23 am

What a fun idea. I saw a t shirt printed with celery the other day, end stalks were all cut off so it was just the base where they all join, it made a flower print. I think I pinned it somewhere, but it was very cool. Honestly what will you creative people think of next!
    Julie recently posted..Origami Cash Gift Wallet

Karen Bell
    July 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm

That’s a lovely way to paint and explore. We did something similar with daisies earlier in the year, the children loved it.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids
    Karen Bell recently posted..Transportation themed activities

July 16, 2014 at 6:30 am

Thanks for linking this fun idea to Tuesday Tots. I’ve featured it this week at Learn with Play at Home πŸ™‚

jenny paulin
    August 10, 2014 at 12:32 am

what a wonderful activity for little ones!
    thanks for letting me link this up to my carnival post (live from the 12th) x

A Bloggers Summer Carnival Extravaganza | Mummy Mishaps
    August 12, 2014 at 12:01 am

[…] Painting With Flowers […]

Kids crafts - painting using food -
    March 26, 2015 at 7:48 am

[…] tried painting with lots of different materials, from flowers to corks and hands. Today we used potatoes which was really fun and messy. As Easter is coming up […]