Kids crafts tutorial Valentines Day crafts

Wax resist Valentine cards

Is there anything nicer than receiving a handmade Valentine card? We don’t think so and have made an early start on our cards this year. I wanted to make a little something to send the Grandparents and we’ve been playing around with wax crayons and watercolour paint to make some super sweet cards.

wax resist Valentine card

Materials needed to make wax resist Valentine cards:
Wax crayons
paper
watercolour paints

painting materials

How to make wax resist Valentine cards:

Draw your design on a piece of white card. Use a light coloured wax crayon such as white or pink. I found my 3 year old couldn’t see what she was doing with a white crayon but my 4 year old could.

wax resist heartWhen you’ve finished your design choose your watercolour and mix a small amount of the paint with some water.

wax resist heartLightly paint over your wax design and it will magically appear as the wax repels the water in the paint. Blot with a piece of paper towel if there’s too much paint.

wax resist heartLeave to dry before making into a card. We cut out our design and glued it to a piece of coloured card. All ready for writing a little note for Nanny and Grandad!

Creative Valentine's Day Activities for Kids

Paper Bag Tea Cups from KidPep

Ten Fun Valentine Ideas for Tots from My Bright Firefly

Valentineโ€™s Heart Mobile from Must Love Waffles

Linking up with Craft Schooling Sunday

Natasha
    January 26, 2015 at 3:13 pm

This is super cool! I know that my toddler and preschooler will enjoy this.
    Natasha recently posted..Easy Ice Sensory Bin

Becca @ Bare Feet on the Dashboard
    January 27, 2015 at 3:39 am

This is such a fun idea! I can’t wait to try it with my kids.
    Becca @ Bare Feet on the Dashboard recently posted..Preschool Fun: Painting and Lacing Hearts

Rachel
    January 27, 2015 at 10:03 am

Lovely! I am a big fan of crafts and arts activities which are realistic for all ages to participate in, and I can see my 2, 4 and 6 year old all really enjoying this.
    I found you via the #pintorials linky – thanks for sharing.
    Rachel recently posted..DIY heart garland tutorial

Louise
    January 27, 2015 at 11:12 am

Love the idea of wax-resist painting, it’s one of the activities I have planned to try with my two girls. These hearts look so effective – such a great idea for Valentines Day.
    Louise recently posted..An afternoon at the Lido

Caroline (Becoming a SAHM)
    January 28, 2015 at 11:24 am

Ah these look lovely! We tried something similar but couldn;t see the wax through the paint, not sure what we did wrong! Lovely idea for valentines though ๐Ÿ™‚ xx #letkidsbekids
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted..The truth about Making a baby smile

jenny
      January 28, 2015 at 12:10 pm

That happened to us too. I just played around, going over the wax lots of time until it was really thick. I found blotting the paint with some paper towel helped too ๐Ÿ™‚

Karen Bell
    January 28, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Lovely idea and craft. They look fab and fun to do.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids
    Karen Bell recently posted..Puffy picture disaster

Kelly @ Mum-bo-Jumbo
    January 28, 2015 at 2:06 pm

What a great idea! My son will have fun with this, thanks for sharing #letkidsbekids
    Kelly @ Mum-bo-Jumbo recently posted..Toddler Tuesday Link Up Party #8

20 Cute Valentine Crafts + The Kids Co-Op Link Party - B-Inspired Mama
    January 29, 2015 at 12:41 pm

[…] Wax Resist Valentine Card Craft (The Gingerbread House) […]

Andrea
    January 29, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Brilliant idea, my little girl would love it too. Thanks for linking up to this weeks #parentingpinitparty
    Andrea recently posted..Honey and Blueberry bars #bookreview

Jo Hutchinson
    January 30, 2015 at 12:07 pm

This is brilliant.

Kate Williams
    January 30, 2015 at 7:39 pm

These are so pretty, I think I’d be rather pleased if I’d made them! Thanks for joining in with Tuesday Tutorials #pintorials
    Kate Williams recently posted..10 Ways to Rock Fusion Style