Chinese New Year crafts crafts handmade Kids crafts tutorial

Finger print Chinese lanterns

fingerprint Chinese lanterns

Before I bombard you with Valentine crafts (and there’s a lot!) I wanted to share one last Chinese New Year craft. 2014 is the Chinese New Year of the Horse and althoughΒ Chinese New Year is celebrated on Friday January 31st, celebrations will take place on Sunday 2ndΒ February across venues including Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Shaftesbury Avenue and of course Chinatown itself.

I’m not sure I’m ready to take the children to the celebrations just yet so instead we’ve been having fun at home. We’ve already tried our hand at Chinese New Year lanterns and our latest activity involved paint.

Like any young children, activities involving paint with fingers or any extremity is going to be a success. This was a fun one!

We found as many pots of paint we could, opened them up, then let the children put their fingers in them. The hard bit was reminding them to use a different finger for each colour but they were pretty good. This was the result of the best piece of paper.

colourful fingerprints

We left our sheets of paper to dry before I added some details to create very pretty finger print Chinese lanterns. What do you think?

fingerprint Chinese lanterns

Emily @amummytoo
    January 15, 2014 at 9:10 am

That is an adorable idea!! So effective! Pinned to try as part of our Chinese New Year crafting this weekend x
    Emily @amummytoo recently posted..Vegetarian Cottage Pie with a herby cheese crust (recipe)

Alison Perry
    January 15, 2014 at 9:18 am

Wow – it’s so effective but looks really easy (and I am a big fan of easy art and craft). Love it!
    Alison Perry recently posted..Some Bloggers, A Baton And Big Love

anna
    January 15, 2014 at 10:13 am

Oooh – I love them!! We did some chinese crafts yesterday but hadnt thought of this! Will pin it too πŸ˜€
    anna recently posted..Chinese Crafts for Kids – Chinese fans and more.

Keri-Anne
    January 15, 2014 at 10:47 am

This is such a great idea!!!!! x
    Keri-Anne recently posted..2/52

Kirsty
    January 15, 2014 at 11:13 am

I love your fingerprint ideas, so simple and achievable. These Chinese Lanterns are fantastic πŸ™‚
    Kirsty recently posted..The Snowman by Raymond Briggs

Mummy of Two
    January 15, 2014 at 1:17 pm

What a great idea – so easy, but they look fab!
    Mummy of Two recently posted..New #TheGallery

Jen aka The Mad House
    January 15, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I love fingerprint art and will be trying these out with the boys and pinning to my fingerprint art board
    Jen aka The Mad House recently posted..Update on my word of the year – Nurture

Vicky
    January 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm

What a great idea! I have some february birthdays coming up, and I feel sure the gifts will be wrapped in this colourful offering πŸ™‚
    Vicky recently posted..Review: Sally Magpies nail polish store – online shopping at its best

Lori
    January 15, 2014 at 5:01 pm

So cute and easy to do! A great craft activity, thanks for sharing
    Lori recently posted..GET YOUR CRAFT ON // DIY POTATO PRINT TEE’S

otilia
    January 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm

what a great and simple idea! well done you!

#pinitparty
    otilia recently posted..My style my fashion

Hellie's Corner
    January 15, 2014 at 6:14 pm

They are so pretty πŸ™‚
    Hellie’s Corner recently posted..Made Me Chuckle!!

The Reading Residence
    January 15, 2014 at 6:42 pm

This is such a sweet and simple idea! Popping over from the Pin-It Party πŸ™‚
    The Reading Residence recently posted..Want To Take Better Photos? Learn With Me…

Fritha Strickland
    January 15, 2014 at 7:07 pm

oh these look so cute! x
    Fritha Strickland recently posted..02/52

Kate Williams
    January 15, 2014 at 7:25 pm

These are really cute πŸ™‚ my son insists of covering his entire hands with Paint though, so we might have rather large lanterns πŸ˜‰

Cass (@frugalfamily)
    January 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm

What a fab and simple idea!
    Cass (@frugalfamily) recently posted..Competition: Win £750 by sharing your favourite Winter recipe…

Nell@PigeonPairandMe
    January 15, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Such a simple idea, but it looks gorgeous! I’m going to try this with my two at the weekend.
    Nell@PigeonPairandMe recently posted..Shoeboxes: Our Time of Gifts week 26

Emmys Mummy
    January 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Such a simple idea, I love this
    Emmys Mummy recently posted..Organising my chaos in bite sized pieces

Actually Mummy...
    January 15, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Oh! I love these – so pretty!
    Actually Mummy… recently posted..GG’s New Year’s Resolutions

Ninjacat
    January 16, 2014 at 10:38 am

What a brilliant activity !
    Ninjacat recently posted..Glazed Chicken Teriyaki

mammasaurus
    January 16, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Such a sweet idea – anything that doesn’t involve scissors at the moment (too many jauntily self cut fringes!)
    mammasaurus recently posted..36. How Does Your Garden Grow

Parenting Pin-It Party week 36 | Romanian Mum Blog
    May 22, 2014 at 6:54 pm

[…] Helen over at Kiddy Charts. This week favourite posts are by Life with munchers  and The gingerbread house. For the exact posts you will have to pop over Helen’s blog […]