I was recently asked if I would like to try Baobab, it’s the latest super-fruit that is grown in South Africa and is harvested and turned into a nutrient rich powder by the Eden Project in Cornwall. They sell it as a smoothie in their Rainforest Biome, and it is now available to buy in sachet form through their online shop.
Gram for gram, baobab fruit has six times more vitamin C than an orange and more calcium than a glass of milk. Baobab also benefits from having three times more iron than red meat, six times as much potassium than in bananas and more than three times as much antioxidants than blueberries! It almost sounds too good to be true so I was happy to try it out for myself.
I was sent enough samples for a week, and found that it was really easy to get a daily nutritional boost with one simple addition to your diet.
Baobab fruit powder has a tangy flavour suited to both savoury and sweet dishes and it couldn’t be easier to add it to your diet. Some serving ideas include:
- Stir a teaspoon into a smoothie or fruit juice and taste the difference
- Zap up your breakfast cereal or oats porridge by adding a prickle
- Blend into your low fat yoghurt to add an exotic twist. Serve with chopped fruit
- Like homemade bread or jam? Mix some baobab powder in and boost the nutritional value of every slice of toast
- Create healthy treats by adding it into your pancakes or homemade breakfast bars
Baobab products can be purchased online at from the Eden Project shop as well as Holland & Barrett, Planet Organic and all good health food shops.
I have been offered one annual pass to the Eden Project for a lucky reader of the gingerbread house. The winner will able to see the baobab tree (and all the other wonderful things the Eden Project has to offer!) for themselves. Entry couldn’t be easier – simply complete the Rafflecopter form below and answer the easy question (mandatory for entry to this giveaway).