I’ve had a idea about making a bunting blanket for a while, using a vintage blanket and scraps from my stash. I love experimenting with dye so tried dyeing part of an old baby blue cashmere blanket with Dylon Sunflower Yellow handwash dye. It didn’t look pretty during the process and I wasn’t too sure about colour mixing rules either.
Anyway, I rinsed it and left it to dry and in the daylight it looked nice, a kind of faded green/yellow.
From my stash I used some previously dyed vintage wool blankets which had been dyed with Dylon Goldfish Orange.
I wanted my blanket to be simple so only used 4 colours, two original and two dyed by myself. To make each bunting flag I cut around a simple template, two pieces from each piece of wool.
I loosely arranged them then tacked them in place before bravely stitching them in place using my new Janome.
I’m really happy with my vintage bunting flags blanket, finished off with Liberty bias binding. It was meant for Little Sis but has already been stolen by the toddler. It’s surprisingly soft and I’m so glad he likes it!